EBOLA OUTBREAK BECOMES DEADLIEST IN DR CONGO’S HISTORY

Listen

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says the ongoing Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has become the deadliest in the country’s history, with 2,325 deaths recorded so far.

According to WHO, the outbreak has surpassed the 2,299 deaths recorded during the 2018–2020 Ebola outbreak. Confirmed cases have also risen to 4,945, while 730 patients remain in isolation or hospitals and 1,040 people have recovered.

The outbreak, declared on May 15, has been difficult to contain due to inadequate health infrastructure, conflict around the epicentre and distrust of medical authorities. WHO warned that the outbreak was “outpacing the response”, while vaccine trials are underway in the UK and Canada because there is currently no approved treatment for the Bundibugyo strain.

The UN and health partners are stepping up efforts to prevent the virus from spreading to neighbouring countries, including South Sudan and the Central African Republic. The response includes disease surveillance, laboratory testing, clinical care, community engagement and preparedness measures.

The UN humanitarian office, OCHA, has allocated $54.5 million to accelerate the response in the DRC and strengthen preparedness in neighbouring countries. WHO said it hopes to bring transmission under control within three months, but stressed that additional resources and safe access to affected communities remain essential.

Comments

Leave a comment